This weekend, the Colonial Theatre, in Phoenixville, will be screening Steve McQueen’s feature debut The Blob, a B-horror flick classic that was released in 1958. The film was actually taped in the Chester County area, with the majority of principle photography taking place at the Valley Forge Studios and several scenes filmed in Phoenixville, Chester Springs, Downingtown, and Royersford, Pennsylvania.
The Colonial Theatre happens to be the very location from the movies of the infamous scene; where the blob terrorizes moviegoers as they rush out of the theatre in pandemonium. Just like the patrons in the movie in 1958, attendees of tonight’s fest will also reenact the famous “run out.” (Tickets for the re-enactment are sold out but you welcomed to watch.)
Fun Fact: The “run out” used to be free in the earlier days of Blobfest; however, in 2007, that changed due to large crowds, with too many attendees lined up and circled around the block, and more importantly, the Theatre, was in dire need of funds.
The Blobfest has been occurring for the last 19 years now. It includes variety shows, that pay tribute to monster movies, contests such as the Miss Blobfest pageant, and a short film competition for novice/aspiring film makers who submit short family-friendly clips that fit with the genre.
On Saturday there will be a street fair with free events starting at 11 am and ending at 5pm! Such events include a Fire Extinguisher parade at noon, a costume contest at 1pm. Registration at 12pm across the street from the the Colonial Theatre.) Storytellings at both 2pm and 4pm, and a Q&A with Matt McGinnis (writer and associate producer of Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return).
- The Blob and Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (Noon)
- 4D Man (12:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.)
- American Icon — staring Steve McQueen (12:30 p.m.)
- Dinosaurs! (2:30 p.m., 6:30 p.m.)
- Spook Show featuring Daughter of Horror (4:30 p.m.)
- The Blob and I Married a Monster from Outer Space (8 p.m.)
- The Blob and Demon with the Atomic Brain (2 p.m.)
The follow special guest will be in attendance during events over the weekend:
- Keith Almoney – played Danny in THE BLOB
- Ricou Browning – the underwater Gill Man
- Ghoul A Go-Go
- Bill Jersey – Art Director for THE BLOB
- Matt McGinnis – writer, MST3K
- Chris Mihm – director of DEMON WITH THE ATOMIC BRAIN
- Patient Creatures
- Wes Shank – caretaker of the Blob
- Marshall Terrill – author and Steve McQueen historian
- Kris Yeaworth -son of THE BLOB director Shorty Yeaworth
To learn more about the Colonial Theatre, please visit their website.